Natural Boost of Alcohol Detox
Following the planning your hangover detox, this post will focus on how you can prepare your body to help get rid of the toxins easier. The methods below can help to boost your natural detoxing abilities and allow you to process alcohol through your body more quickly.
Rather than waiting until you wake up with a hangover, start your detox process while you are still drinking. Help your body to process alcohol by diluting it so that it is absorbed at a slower rate into your bloodstream
- Add mixers such as soda water or lemonade to spirits and beers. Use mixers with high sugar content such as cola or lemonade as these help to keep up your blood sugar levels, which can be depleted by the alcoho in your blood stream
- if you prefer drinks that don’t suit mixers, such as red wine or Guinness, try alternating a glass of alcohol with a glass of water
- Eat before you drink – while your body is absorbing food it won’t be able to absorb all the alcohol at once. Even salted crisps and peanuts will help and they also replace the salts you’re losing through increased urination.
Boost Water Absorption
The easiest way to expel alcoholic toxins from your body is through you urine – so the more you drink the more you’ll go to the toilet! Urinating more than usual can lead to dehydration – it’s this that causes headaches a dry mouth and a throbbing sensation in the morning .
- Water and Salt – Ensure you drink plenty of water during the evening, but if it is too late, remember your body can’t absorb water without salt – eating potassium rich bananas, sodium – rich chives and watercress or even salted crisps will help. Try to drink a glass of water last think at night, before you fall asleep.
Give your liver a boost
- Herbal Remedies – Dandelion increases urination while replacing salt. Make a tea with its leaves or eat them in a salad. You could even us dandelion and burdock as a mixer!
- Massage – Gently massage over your liver and kidneys with slow circular strokes using the balls of your hands or your thumbs. This will increase circulation to these organs, and stimulate their activity. Use massage oils that include detoxing oils such as juniper, grapefruit or lemon
- Evening Meal – If you’re eating out, choose foods that will stimulate your liver such as onions and artichokes
Bitter herbs such as milk thistle are the best cures for the effects of alcohol overindulgence, but all of the following will help you to feel better
- Seaweed / sarsaparilla – Add to salads to boost your body’s depleted salt levels, enabling you to absorb the water you need to calm that throbbing head!
- Gelsemium – This homeopathic tincture is good for treating an aching head. Add five drops to 100ml of water and take one teaspoon hourly until you feel better
- Grapefruit – Grapefruit’s detoxing properties make it an ideal choice for your breakfast
- Barberry Bark – Leave on teaspoon of this tonic her in a cup of cold water overnight and drink half the cup in the morning to kick start your detox, or pour boiling water over the same amount to make a detoxing tea blend
- Echinacea – Reduces liver inflammation and is an excellent morning – after herbal tea. Add half a teaspoon of goldenseal to increase its potency
- Milk Thistle – This herbal tonic stimulates production of new liver cells to replace the old. Ass a quarter to a a half a teaspoon to a cup of boiling water to make a herbal tea
Thank you for reading 🙂 Let me know what you think in the comments below!