A little bit of History:
Pears are a highly popular fruit, ideal for a packed lunch when you need a snack in a hurry. Seasonal variations means that they are available almost all year round. A particularly sweet and succulent fruit, pear has a distinctive grainy texture and is equally delicious cooked or raw.
Pears are rich in vitamin C and copper and these are both proven to be important antioxidants. They are rich in fiber and as such are useful for promoting digestive health, lowering cholesterol and fighting free radicals in the colon. Pears can also lower the risk of your eyesight deteriorating with old age.
- Pear is a versatile fruit that can be used to perk up savory dishes, especially broiled fish
- Bake in a tart with cooking apples and serve while still warm with a small helping of custard
- For a breakfast treat to brighten up Monday mornings, add some chopped pears to your cereal
- Delicately poach your pears in a sweet dessert wine and serve with vanilla ice cream
- Eat as a snack by itself or as part of a healthy fruit salad with apples and peaches
Do you have any favorite pear recipes? or other cool tips on this superfood?
All Superfoods Section: