Superfoods: Lemons and Limes
A little bit of History:
Lime trees flourish in tropical climes, such as southeast Asia, where they are thought to have originated. Lemons are a cross between lime and citron and are thought to have originated in China.
Lemons and limes contain high levels of flavonoid compounds, which are common among many of the listed superfoods; these compounds have powerful antioxidant and anti-cancer properties. These citrus fruits are also high in vitamin C, which provides protection against inflammatory illnesses.
- Lemons should be purchased yellow in color as a green tinge indicates a more acidic content
- Infuse a slice of lemon and a sprig of rosemary in hot water for an energizing, mind boosting tonic
- Thinly slice lemons and lime and layer as a bed for fish before baking to infuse your meal with a tangy flavor
- Add lemon juice, freshly crushed garlic and cracked pepper to olive oil, shake and use a salad dressing
- Squeeze limes into sparkling water and whisk in melted honey to taste to make a refreshing limeade
Do you have any favorite lemon recipe ideas? or other cool tips on this superfood?
All Superfoods Section: